This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)
Frederiknagore (1755 to 1845)
|• Body||Serampore Municipality|
|• Chair Person||Giridhari Saha (AITC)|
|• MP||Kalyan Banerjee (AITC)|
|• MLA||Dr. Sudipto Roy (AITC) and Arindam Guin (AITC)|
|• Total||11.60 km2 (4.48 sq mi)|
|Elevation||17 m (56 ft)|
|• Density||16,000/km2 (41,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
712201 to 7122**
|Telephone code||+91 33|
|Vehicle registration||WB 15, WB 16, WB 17, WB 18|
|Sex ratio||941 females/1000 males ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Srerampur|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Sreerampur and Champdani|
Serampore (also called Serampur, Srirampur, Srirampore, Shreerampur, Shreerampore, Shrirampur or Shrirampore) is a city in Hooghly district in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is the headquarters of the Srirampore subdivision. It is a part of the area covered by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA) and Greater Kolkata. It is a pre-colonial city on the west bank of the Hooghly River. It was part of Danish India under the name Frederiknagore from 1755 to 1845.
Serampore is located at .
Srirampore subdivision is the most urbanized of the subdivisions in Hooghly district. 73.13% of the population in the subdivision is urban and 26.88% is rural. The subdivision has 6 municipalities and 34 census towns. The municipalities are: Dankuni Municipality, Uttarpara Kotrung Municipality, Konnagar Municipality, Rishra Municipality, Serampore Municipality and Baidyabati Municipality. Amongst the CD Blocks in the subdivision, Uttarapara Serampore (census towns shown in the map alongside) had 76% urban population, Chanditala I 42%, Chanditala II 69% and Jangipara 7% (census towns in the last 3 CD Blocks are shown in a separate map). All places marked in the map are linked in the larger full screen map.
|Climate data for Serampore|
|Average high °C (°F)||26
|Average low °C (°F)||12
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||19.2
|Source: Serampore Weather|
According to an India census, Serampore had a population of 181,842 in 2011. Males constituted 51.55% of the population and females 48.45%. It had an average literacy rate of 88.73%, higher than the national average of 74.04%: male literacy was 92.75% and female literacy 87.05%; 7% of the population was under 6 years of age.
Kolkata Urban Agglomeration
The following Municipalities and Census Towns in Hooghly district were part of Kolkata Urban Agglomeration in 2011 census: Bansberia (M), Hugli-Chinsurah (M), Bara Khejuria (Out Growth), Shankhanagar (CT), Amodghata (CT), Chak Bansberia (CT), Naldanga (CT), Kodalia (CT), Kulihanda (CT), Simla (CT), Dharmapur (CT), Bhadreswar (M), Champdani (M), Chandannagar (M Corp.), Baidyabati (M), Serampore (M), Rishra (M), Rishra (CT), Bamunari (CT), Dakshin Rajyadharpur (CT), Nabagram Colony (CT), Konnagar (M), Uttarpara Kotrung (M), Raghunathpur (PS-Dankuni) (CT), Kanaipur (CT) and Keota (CT).
- Serampore College
- Pearl Rosary School - Mahesh ( WBBSE, WBCHSE)
- Government College of Engineering and Textile Technology
- Serampore Union Institution
- Serampore Girls' College
- Mahesh Sri Ramkrishna Ashram Vidyalaya (Higher Secondary)
- Serampore Girl's High School (Akna Girl's High School)
- Chatra Nandalal Institution
- Serampore Mission Girls High School
- Malina Lahiri Boy's Academy
- Holy Home School
- West Point Academy
- Gospel Home school
- Pearl Rosary school (West Chatra)
- Bangla High School
- Ballavpur High School
- Mahesh high School
- Mahesh Banga Vidyalaya
- Ramesh Chandra Girl's High School
- Rajyadharpur Netaji Uchcha Balika Vidyalaya
- Parameshwari Girl's High School
- Nabagram K D Paul Vidyalaya
- Chatra Bani Balika Vidyalaya
- Anjuman.n.c.l.project School
- Aurobindo N.c.l.p School
- Bharati Balika Pry. School
- Fatema Girls Jr. High School
- Gopinath Saha Pry. School
- Mission Girls High School
- Nayabasti Sree Shiva Jr High School
- Saraswati.n.c.l.p Special School
- Viswanath Vidyamandir
- Prabash Nagar G.s.f.p.
- Mallickpara Municipal Free Pry
- Rathayatra of Mahesh
- Srerampur (Lok Sabha constituency)
- Sreerampur (Vidhan Sabha constituency)
- Serampore College
- Senate of Serampore College (University)
- Serampore Town Railway Station
- Srirampore subdivision
- Serampore Mission Press
- Hannah Marshman
- William Carey
- Joshua Marshman
- Willam Ward
- Serampore Trio
- Sheoraphuli Raj Debuttar Estate
- Sheoraphuli railway station
- Serampore as Frederiknagore hooghlyheritage.wordpress.com. Retrieved 10 March 2021
- "Base Map of Kolkata Metropolitan area". Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 3 September 2007.
- "District Census Handbook: Hugli, Series-20, Part XIIA" (PDF). Physiography, Page 17–24. Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal, 2011. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Hooghly". Tables 2.1, 2.2. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- "Hooghly District Police". West Bengal Police. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Hooghly". Table 2.2, 2.4(a). Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". 2011 census: West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "City Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Census of India 2011: Serampore City Census 2011 data". Census Commission of India. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011" (PDF). Constituents of Urban Agglomeration Having Population Above 1 Lakh. Census of India 2011. Retrieved 16 June 2016.